Slender Wires

The title of this blog refers to a description of the faith of us who are followers of Christ. It comes from a quote by Charles Spurgeon in his book All of Grace, "Great messages can be sent through slender wires, and the peace-giving witness of the Holy Spirit can reach our hearts through thread-like faith." In this blog I hope we can share how we are trying to live out and think about our thread-like faith and the amazing way these slender wires bring us God's peace-giving grace.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Act Your Way Into Feeling

On Sunday before last I visited Shiloh Church in Port Shepstone. I had been invited to attend their service to receive a gift from their Sunday school class for the needy children and families that we support through our Two Tunics "Communities for Kids" programs (see http://projects.twotunicssa.org/ for more information). As Robin was away back in the US, Onnie Mgaga our Two Tunics programs manager attended with me to accept the gift of food and toys for the creches we support.


Onnie and I receiving the donations from Shiloh Church.






As we were singing during the praise and worship time of the service the worship leader suddenly stopped the music and singing. We were singing the song "The Joy of the Lord is My Strength", but as the leader pointed out we were showing no evidence of the joy of which we were singing. "How can you sing this song with such lack of joy on your faces" the leader asked. She challenged the congregation to sing it again this time with real joy. And so we did and even though the voices may have been a little off tune, both we and God were blessed as we sang with joy. And experienced the joy we were singing about.

That experience brought to mind something I had read a few days earlier. Over the years I have read some of John Maxwell’s material on leadership. Since stepping into the General Manager position at Genesis I have been reading his book “The Maxwell Daily Reader”. The May 7th entry was on enthusiasm and made this statement. “You need to act your way into feeling.” My initial response was that this didn't seem right. Isn't that hypocrisy, when we act in ways we don't really feel? But as I thought about it more I realized the statement was true and in fact a very important truth for me to apply in my life.

I had to ask myself, how much joy have I been experiencing (feeling and demonstrating) recently? I had to honestly answer, not much. Some satisfaction, some contentment, some thankfulness. But joy? Not really. Now obviously joy is not happiness. But often I do not experience joy because my circumstances are not happy. I don't feel happy so I don't experience joy.

In the appendix to his book "The Handbook for Spiritual Warfare" Dr Ed Murphy presents a Daily Affirmation of Faith that I have been meditating on and trying to recite regularly. The opening paragraph concludes, "In this day I will not judge God, His work, myself or others on the basis of feelings or circumstances." As a follower of Christ I should not live my life based on feelings that often are the result of circumstances. Rather I base my life on the truth of God's word which reveals to me who God is, the nature of His works, who I am and who my fellow man is.

Psalm 100 exclaims, "Shout for joy to the Lord all the earth". Why? "The Lord is God. It is he who made us and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture." Later the psalmist proclaims "For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations." This is true even when my circumstances are not happy. Even when I don't feel joy, I need to act based on the truth of God's word. We are instructed by the apostle Paul to "Rejoice always". It's not an option, its an instruction. I need to act my way into feeling, not based on my circumstance but on God's word. As we in the congregation began to act joyful as we sang we felt and experienced joy. God wants us to act joyful when we don't feel joy. He wants us to act loving when we don't feel love. As we obey He blesses with the feelings of joy and love. He fulfills our every desire.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this Mike. It really spoke to where I'm at right now. I was reading "My Utmost for His Highest" by Chambers this morning and it touched on the concept that we shouldn't be asking God to prevent sorrow and difficulty but instead "to ask that I may preserve the self God create me to be through every fire of sorrow." The reading ends with this. "If a man has not been through the fires of sorrow, he is apt to be contemptuous, he has no time for you. If you receive yourself in the fires of sorrow, God will make you nourishment for other people."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for those words, Mike! I need to read this entry a few more times to digest it, I think. I am so glad that while I am not experiencing the intimacy with God I was several months ago, He is still giving me many different ways to serve Him. I hope that over the summer I am able to "act my way into feeling" lasting joy. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete