Slender Wires

The title of this blog refers to a description of the faith of us who are followers of Christ. It comes from a quote by Charles Spurgeon in his book All of Grace, "Great messages can be sent through slender wires, and the peace-giving witness of the Holy Spirit can reach our hearts through thread-like faith." In this blog I hope we can share how we are trying to live out and think about our thread-like faith and the amazing way these slender wires bring us God's peace-giving grace.

Sunday, February 8, 2009

An Atheist Says Africa Needs God

A couple weeks ago I came across an article on the TimesOnline (London Times) by a columnist named Matthew Parris (click on the title of this post to go to the article). The title of his column definitely got my attention; "As an atheist, I truly believe Africa needs God." Apparently he had been born and spent his boyhood in what is now Malawi and just before Christmas returned for a visit after 45 years.

He states in the article that he is "now a confirmed atheist". But he also says traveling in Malawi refreshed a belief that "confounds" his ideology and "stubbornly refuses to fit" his atheistic worldview. The observation that he can't avoid is that he is "convinced of the enormous contribution that Christian evangelism makes in Africa". In contrast to government programs, international aid organizations and secular NGOs which can provide education and training alone, "In Africa Christianity changes people's hearts."

It is important to note that he doesn't say Africa needs Christians or Christian services. He says (as a card carrying atheist) Africa needs God, because only God can change hearts. Wow! He admits he used to try to avoid this truth by applauding the practical good works that churches and missionaries do in Africa. And he would then say "It's a pity ... that salvation is part of the package".

The observation that brought him to this truth, against his ideology, that Africa needs God, was one that was consistent in his boyhood in Africa, later as a young man traveling in Africa and now years later returning to the Africa of his boyhood."The Christians were always different. Far from having cowed or confined its converts, their faith appeared to have liberated and relaxed them. There was a liveliness, a curiosity, an engagement with the world - a directness in their dealings with others - that seemed to be missing in traditional African life. They stood tall. "

As a missionary of Two Tunics working in Africa our work focuses to a large extent on the social needs associated with AIDS - medical treatment, HIV prevention education, support of orphans and vulnerable children. Sometimes I feel a need or have a desire to design our social services in a way that is not necessarily linked to evangelism. I don't want to be appear to be providing our care and support services in order to win converts. I feel at times like I need to justify or even apologize for our Christian evangelism which is counter to much of their African culture. Sometimes I even feel like I am being more true to what it means to really follow Jesus' when I just live the gospel rather than preaching it as well.

I have to thank an atheist for reminding me that what I am doing (bringing hope for the future)is all about changing hearts. That only happens as someone speaks the gospel message of Jesus Christ into the lives of others. Thankfully we have South African partners in our work who have Zulu pastors and staff who are very intentional about speaking the truth that changes hearts into the lives of those we serve. I'm thankful for Abraham, Amos, Joseph, Penny and Edmara among others. What I must do is help these Africans whose hearts have been changed by God to provide Africa with what it really needs.

1 comment:

  1. Mike,

    I just read the article from the Times and it was INCREDIBLE! I sent it to my Mom to spread around the church. Thank you for that. It is very encouraging to know that good, God-centered, unselfish work can truly make a difference. I think we should all pray for Matthew Parris.

    I found out before coming to Auroville that, in the beginning, it was more of a relief effort for the poverty stricken natives than anything else. In that desperate hour, who did the first Aurovillians turn to but a Christian organization who helped provide for the needs of the villagers. I fear that they are so far from those roots that they may never recognize them as a whole, but I do not fear that God will insert Himself into this community one way or another. I hope I get to have a small part of that.

    I hope you get lots of chances to share your faith in ways that are not suffocating to the listeners. I hope that God gives you and Robin opprotunities to speak with people who have been opened up by your ministry. I hope that you get the chance to make noticable differences in people's worldview through Christ's message like Parris wrote about.

    Yay for that article! That just made my day ... or my night ... or my early morning. Whatever!

    ReplyDelete