Slender Wires

The title of this blog refers to a description of the faith of us who are followers of Christ. It comes from a quote by Charles Spurgeon in his book All of Grace, "Great messages can be sent through slender wires, and the peace-giving witness of the Holy Spirit can reach our hearts through thread-like faith." In this blog I hope we can share how we are trying to live out and think about our thread-like faith and the amazing way these slender wires bring us God's peace-giving grace.

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Desiring God

The title of this post is also the title of a book by John Piper. If you're pressed and don't have time to read this blog post, it's OK. Just go out and get the book, read it, and enjoy it!

Hopefully some of you are still with me. I shared in the last post ("A 2008 Report Card") that as I look back on 2008 I am convicted that I have failed an important test this past year. Along with the Ephesian church I have often forsaken my first love (Revelation 2). Like them I have been busy for God, doing good things and even enduring hardships at times. But often during this past year my relationship with Christ has been dry and felt empty more than stale. At times I have sat wishing I felt closer to God, struggling to pray, distracted by the work and the needs as well as by my own concerns.

In his book Piper describes and promotes what he calls "Christian Hedonism" as he addresses what Psalm 73:25 is talking about. What does it really mean and look like in my life to agree with the Psalmist that "the earth has nothing I desire besides you (God)", to make and keep Jesus my first love.

As I was beginning to draft this post including the reference to John Piper's "Desiring God", I went to his web site of that title. There I read his article "I Love Jesus Christ" dated 31 Dec 2008. In it he is expressing almost exactly what I wanted to express in this post. He describes how those words impacted his life and what it means to love Jesus. It's nobody's surprise that John Piper can express it better than I, but it surprised me that God moved John Piper to pray for 2009 exactly what He moved my heart to pray.
Would you pray with me that in 2009 we would love Jesus Christ more than we ever have? And may our Lord Jesus grant that from time to time we would deliver quietly and naturally a thunderclap into the hearts of others with the simple words, “I love Jesus Christ.”
So I will just ask you to click on the title of this post to go to the Desiring God website. Then click on This Weeks Taste and See entry for December 31, 2008. I want to invite you to join John and I in making this prayer a reality in 2009 in each of our lives. Let's desire God Himself and not only His blessings this year

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your heart, Mike. I enjoyed reading all that you wrote. I, too, what more of God and to love Him more.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. A major theme as of late for me has been a re-ignition of my love for Jesus Christ. Through a series of fortunate & unfortunate events, God has placed me back into a position to fully embrace His love for me and I'm trying my best to love Him back! I believe John Piper does a great job towards the end of this article to break down how I want this to look like in my life. So here I am joining the likes of James Morgan and John Piper saying, "I love Jesus Christ."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike- I am just having the time to catch up on your last couple of posts. And I love this one. And I love Jesus Christ.
    Thank you for the updates on how things are going with your ministry. Keep 'em coming, because I know 2009 holds something special for you and Robin. You both taught me so much while I spent time with you in July and I am grateful. Mostly because it helped me to draw closer to our God.
    I look forward to seeing you soon...in God's timing.

    ReplyDelete