Slender Wires

The title of this blog refers to a description of the faith of us who are followers of Christ. It comes from a quote by Charles Spurgeon in his book All of Grace, "Great messages can be sent through slender wires, and the peace-giving witness of the Holy Spirit can reach our hearts through thread-like faith." In this blog I hope we can share how we are trying to live out and think about our thread-like faith and the amazing way these slender wires bring us God's peace-giving grace.

Monday, December 29, 2008

A 2008 Report Card


As the New Year approaches I think it is a natural human thing to review the year past as we anticipate the year ahead. I believe it’s one of the things that sets us apart from God’s other creatures. As we reflect on the year past we Christians naturally, and I think rightly, begin by reflecting on what God has done in our lives this year. This process is analogous to what Samuel did in placing an Ebenezer Stone – recognizing that “thus far the Lord has helped us” (see previous post). As I look back on 2008 I do clearly see God’s hand of provision and protection in so many ways, in so many places in my life. I also know that there have been battles fought and victories won that I have no awareness of. For that I am as grateful to God as I am for his more evident work in my life.

But as we reflect back on the year we not only remember God’s goodness and faithfulness, we also reflect on our own responses, accomplishments and results. Here in South Africa the school year coincides with the calendar year and so provides a very fitting analogy. Tomorrow the senior high school “matric” students (matriculates) will be able to go to their schools and receive their test results from their teachers, finding out if they passed the tests. At this time of year we are like the “matrics” getting our final report card for the year. As we evaluate ourselves on this past year we are also receiving the evaluation of our Instructor.

How did I do? How do you think you did? If we are honest with ourselves I think we all conclude as I have, that I did OK in some areas but I know I fell down in other areas. But what does my Instructor think? Does it depends on the "curve"? What will the standard be and did I make the passing cut off?

I believe the only place we can get a look at the standards that will be applied is in the Bible. And the standard I see there is an extremely high one. The curve is steep. The standard that was applied to the Ephesian church will also be applied to me. In Revelations chapter 2 we find Christ’s assessment of the church in Ephesus.
I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate wicked men… You have persevered and have endured hardships in my name, and have not grown weary.

Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken your first love. Remember the height from which you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first. If you do not repent, I will come and remove your lampstand from its place.
Did I pass this test in 2008? Or have I forsaken my first love? My first love that is described in Psalm 73:25. “Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you?” Why do I desire heaven? Is it only because God is there? Are there other people or things that I desire when I think of heaven? And what does it look like (feel like) to desire nothing besides God on earth (in this life)?

I'll share some more thoughts on this last question in the next post, but obviously I am convicted that I have not received passing marks on a critical test this year. Fortunately just as those "matrics" who failed to pass all the tests get a second chance to take and pass those tests again in the next few months, so God is giving me another chance, a New Year to improve on my results from 2008. I praise God for his patience and grace. Lord I want Psalm 73:25 to be true of me. I desire that I would desire nothing besides you. Lord make the needed change in me.

1 comment:

  1. The passage from Revelations chapter 2 you shared hit right on target with what God is teaching me right now. I'm trying hard to fall back in love with Jesus after realizing I was putting a lot of other things first in my life in 2008. This has definitely been a year of change for me, however. I'm in a really good place with the Lord that I haven't felt in a long time. May God continue to mold us into a new creation. Have a great New Year!

    ReplyDelete