Slender Wires

The title of this blog refers to a description of the faith of us who are followers of Christ. It comes from a quote by Charles Spurgeon in his book All of Grace, "Great messages can be sent through slender wires, and the peace-giving witness of the Holy Spirit can reach our hearts through thread-like faith." In this blog I hope we can share how we are trying to live out and think about our thread-like faith and the amazing way these slender wires bring us God's peace-giving grace.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Big Question

I and my wife are living and working in AIDS affected communities of South Africa where the challenges are great and the rewards many. But recently my heart has been drawn a little farther north (towards the sun for those of you on the other end of the planet). The situation in Zimbabwe continues to deteriorate daily. The country that used to be called the "bread basket of Africa" has been turned into a land of starvation and death. This is basically the result of the policies, abuse of power, corruption and general evil of one man, President Robert Mugabe. In the last month a cholera epidemic has infected tens of thousands and killed hundreds officially, and more likely thousands. Hospitals are closed due to lack of medicines and inability to pay the staff.

Many relief agencies have either been prevented from working in the country or have chosen not to, until Mr Mugabe lives up to his pledge to "power sharing" and a new more balanced government is formed. In the meantime people are dying; of starvation, of cholera, of AIDS (without ARV access), of political violence, all the result of - evil. Which raises "The Big Question" as John Eldredge calls it in his book Waking the Dead. "What is really going on here? Good grief - life is brutal. ... Has God abandoned us (the people of Zimbabwe)? Did we not pray enough? Is this just something we must accept as 'part of life', suck it up, even though it breaks our hearts?"

As Eldredge says, most of us conclude that either "(a) we're blowing it, or (b) God is holding out on us. Or some combination of both..." The truth as he points out, and as I am learning more and more to really believe in my heart and not just my mind, is that WE ARE AT WAR. The life that God has and desires for us is being opposed. God has not abandoned you, me or the people of Zimbabwe. But a war is being fought there and in many areas of our lives. "Until we come to terms with war as the context of our days we will not understand life. We will misinterpret 90 percent of what is happening around us and to us."

I do believe I am in a war. And being a soldier dealing with AIDS here in South Africa others may see me as being on the front lines. However, most of the time I function in the rear, shuffling papers in the office. I feel drawn to the front lines in Zimbabwe. But then I realize the front lines are right here if I would only join the battle. Lord give me spiritual eyes to see and a heart to join the battle.

2 comments:

  1. It has been a while since reading "Waking The Dead" but I do remember his concept of us being at war. "The Big Question" seems to have popped up here and there throughout my life and has returned once more for me to battle through.

    I would agree that we are at war and during my two month stint with Two Tunics in 2007 I definitely felt it more than ever. Now that I'm living, working, and serving in West Central Spokane I'm realizing that this war had always existed in my own hometown. Growing up I had just learned how to push what was going on into the margins and look at the injustice and pain around me as not party of my story. I was very self-centered.

    As I journey with Christ I'm beginning to see more and more the call to be an advocate for justice not only around the world but in my own hometown. Christ is challenging me to look not only inward but outward to see where I can be part of the restoration of the world around me. It still amazes me how he can use a sinful broken man like myself to serve in His plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that one of the key things the war is about is justice, along with His glory (the two cannot be separated). God is calling us to be in the battle for justice. Check out "Just Courage" by Gary Haugen of International Justice Mission.

    ReplyDelete