Slender Wires

The title of this blog refers to a description of the faith of us who are followers of Christ. It comes from a quote by Charles Spurgeon in his book All of Grace, "Great messages can be sent through slender wires, and the peace-giving witness of the Holy Spirit can reach our hearts through thread-like faith." In this blog I hope we can share how we are trying to live out and think about our thread-like faith and the amazing way these slender wires bring us God's peace-giving grace.

Monday, December 15, 2008

Thread-like Faith

This week I was struck by the analogy of our faith being like "slender wires" used by Charles Spurgeon in his book All of Grace. It is easy for us sometimes to fall into the error of making our faith an idol. The power is not in the faith but in the God upon whom our faith relies. We are saved not by faith but by God's Grace (Eph 2:8). Grace is the fountain and faith is the conduit through which the fountain's living water comes to us. "Great messages can be sent through slender wires, and the peace-giving witness of the Holy Spirit can reach our hearts through thread-like faith." So often my faith seems thread-like. Praise God that "even though a hand may be trembling, it can still receive the golden gift".

These last 3 years in South Africa with Two Tunics have been an incredible faith journey (as well as the nearly 2 years leading up to are being here). At times it felt like I've was drinking from a large pipe as God overwhelmed with his clear and active provision. At other times it has felt like I've been holding on to a slender wire listening for and not hearing that "still small voice". Those were feelings of mine that changed. God, his plan and his faithfulness didn't change. My faith was ever thread-like and yet that was enough for God to pour out his grace.

I wish I had been more faithful over the years in journaling the stories of this faith journey. I am starting this blog as a means of recording my experiences living on a "slender wire" of faith. I hope it will also be a way to keep friends, family and supporters updated on progress and challenges of the work of Two Tunics in South Africa. I hope you will check back from time to time and be blessed as you do.

2 comments:

  1. Great first post. We can learn this blogging thing at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea Ami you inspired me to get started on this - long overdue. Lets hope I'll be better at this than writing in my journal. Thanks for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete